GnuPG is a wonderful tool for the paranoiacs. Unfortunately, its installation and configuration is a bit tedious, but Ggp4win, which bundles GnuPG 1.x and 2.x with Kleopatra (along other stuff), makes it easier, as long as you use a tutorial such as this one
However, the user-friendliness still has room for improvement. Sure, various plugins are available, such as Enigmail for Thunderbird, GpgOL for Outlook, or the discontinued FireGPG for Firefox (which most likely got killed by the “everchangingness” of both the Firefox add-on API and Gmail). But what if you just want to use GnuPG to encrypt text in any program, or to verify a signature on a webpage? At the moment, it seems that only Cryptophane can do this, or so I was told, because for some reason it didn’t work on my computer. And worse, when I uninstalled it it made such a mess: left all its entries in the registry… So, basically, there seems to be no decent and stand-alone front-end for encrypting, decrypting or signing with GnuPG.
That’s been bothering me for a while, and I eventually decided to deal with that issue myself. So, here is a preview version of VisualGPG, a simplistic Graphical User Interface for GnuPG. At the moment it features just the very bare necessities:
- checking signatures.
- It can’t browse/delete/add keys: that’s not its purpose, Kleopatra is already an awesome key manager, we don’t need another one.
- However, it is able to fetch (on demand) a public key from key server
keys.gnupg.netin case it’s required to verify a signature.
- last but not least: no installer. Just download and run. If you’re on Windows XP or such, you’ll probably need some .NET Framework (my guess would be version 4.0 since I used Visual Studio 2010).
Update: indeed, you need Microsoft .NET Framework 4, which you can get there. It’s a fairly small download, about 15 MiB total.
Just a few words before giving you the download link:
- In order for VisualGPG to work, you must have GnuPG 2 installed AND in your PATH. The best (or at least, the easiest/quickest) way to meet this requirement is to install Gpg4win, although even then you might have to add GnuPG to the PATH.
- Enter your input at the top, choose what you want to do on the right, optionally choose which keys to use, hit execute and voilà.
- This is a preview version: the tool works, but is far from polished (there are even some dead debugging boxes left, as well as an empty configuration panel). In its current state, it’s good enough for me: I can now quickly write a signed (+/- encrypted) message, or do the reverse operation with text from any place, like a forum, or a webmail or such. So I’ll keep working on it only if there is a demand (otherwise I’ll just maintain it). If you like the idea / the preview, by all means drop a comment to motivate me , or like it on Facebook.
In case you want to try it on a signed message already:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 If this program is helpful, feel free to send some Bitcoins ^^ => 1KY8gS9B6pbSvdGgo1M9o1SSpNNxkGv1Zo -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (MingW32) iQUcBAEBAgAGBQJOttMSAAoJEGAcV4sYvqRCoe8oAJPl2X1iYhjCfhRo7m1nHdVB qNREGaNg1UajQ8X/r5dJ54tBT/OWYQzE2M4cy4Ck7JtTk3m5b0riS5daxpvsDMe9 Aukvt8IXI3yjbpz6sZNI99/sc9P4Hlqs1tBVI3oyGx2wIIJkjUZxzfcoLoiRV1ei yddpWLRbiYzpC6lPPQCNhkJftx6wB2q/pW67xn/9hCO8Msg9ozpJ+mmgOAFBjtZS IkKyb6UspFSl43r13+MMGUckDs2SHFzl83gruI6CfEvGsNhYiNSUTXd/9B72ZeQm JWjsjBWKbuyPFmqVpP+nSnXC6LN6m73sR3aiQj+mDSSZ0RJ9nJk8h/FRyT2A3RCi 8sETnkESyXgEn7FmvF+tB6xzP1reUHhDMR51PfbaDKRBu4jpZlVQUthVjMlgRvyD vZ0MqxWsz30gtcj89rNw5aSvDQ+7UHh+UdhSkKCAmdNwsW7XIdyP/nIyeBbtYtNR V7HkdkdfhOZiVDrW9NGi01GPrAjD0oSliVDogpjjGhBa9Cdv2CJpyQtsB+6Ed1f/ LabcnOLkE5WHOOqMXbTb76509NaytNYloKlJooiyDuyvyep+bQCmkVyF4i965yR+ HW0Op+0H7WLdmMT9p02IW4tY+wugZ0bL7UMu/5+P+VxQPP2jjqkrKc8dD0Zo7kCV AIx9dqIkgAjGCg6rPb4TNuv4U2gbxUnaI1d1mYzSfbTyRvhrUMpIRTtFH/AlA22Y AOhzjxhrWmkMWkyYucshqQQpfw+15lw3nG4MSMMdEeeK3VFa7Y/yksoQMzWKqcCS M9Uae5lGmY3aq+zC1/B93SHC+xDS0B0TtxS010QcR7kftUjAPXNoSKMWJSWz+5pW UHfNm/VXMSGh59R7IoDpmyRL7gUOkBkyMhZZj9jbRvhlSNDchxux6AZPfnBcX+G6 j4COKX5Ysg3LL4IOAg/It32jh/ptu1V7PexN3vdV/Gh0xDsclPKSiCkrvCPjpTBE Vm7yvlG4hy+fr5Yx8Ipn5Qd8A0qsjv5JF9BPlTIBSif8kms+Zqy5XoivrGhnHRnc 3fM0abJAvCpXIuBciaIW9a+S0xGxWpQWzDXQushlFqahBTsDsKZlWch9NsGuN1SP 7CeZUrI54/V39Ev9n0dFSHUVVxR/db2qO3YUxXTaDkUGZMVOcOOJlimhr32apW1I /5xzMNFsPzizhxZeugaCZvjTde0jMFjYqPoAMyx6VRhQe6qGlttAjg6WXuO0QgQ0 z/YDQvoHhjeFfdVIG9IxXRSFWIGDz5knSGuBxdAAn9oo67rXqiln/n2veqXHNmiW ou/rUyLpfeMjnJBrhXdlrNWINYvDEOGifC7CDITrST8xfKcROoYbf6idy9pZUQLZ n9fNOa8Iu86ZGz1aCKtJZGMWf19x2qIct4f/VtlsSYt90seATGvTZ/1Sod9oNr2F gDPjmJ1eL2tvVtbrrPV3n6qGlBUq4EY3mcYKeUOXkJ8HKRce3Gm/JwaMpPaRCDQ/ m9ZXYM/gZHBr736Q2VynKC6IfEgBF2WNgItQcP5YGntUgnNstxGGj1LykzoKMMou 5QoUNtC7G+4huHGyf6PyUc88TITAhdVAVDIaY81Sa2beZQdWJH1rGkna5sHxPuhD I9TySNbeXvGE3xnmK/ZsZjyvvVddDpu9oOR6BARx0KkEOjrCOQTBWKBE4Bi942DN Y1AkRSgFG+aNCZP9puDO =7MbU -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----